Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Dreams

"Nonsense, now and then, is pleasant."
~Horace

It's definitely possible that dreams are just our mind's way of entertaining us while we sleep. Because honestly, maybe our subconscious gets bored at night. However, I really don't think that's true. I would instead prefer to believe that our dreams are our subconscious' way of cluing is into things that we're too stupid to be aware of while we're awake. I do not, however, believe that dreams predict the future. That's just absurd. You'd need a really talented psychic and at least $9.95/minute for those kinds of shenanigans. So, with that in mind, let me tell you about two dreams I've had recently. I'd like to detour for a minute to tell you that I crack myself up with the fact that I remember my dreams so well. They're also usually really vivid. I find that this makes me more interesting, which is something I always like to be.

DREAM ONE:
This dream was really short. I was sitting in my bedroom, and a little frog jumped out. And I was like, "Hey...why is there a frog in my bed?" So I caught him and held onto him for a little while, and then he hopped away. Then a cat came out and chased him, and I was like, "Hey...why is there a cat in my room?" And then I woke up. And I looked up "frogs" in a dream dictionary, and here is what a frog is supposed to symbolize:

To see frogs leaping in your dream, may indicate your lack of commitment. You have the tendency to jump from one thing to another. Alternatively, it may suggest that you are taking major steps toward some goal

I mean...come ON. Have you MET me lately?

DREAM TWO:
I was walking out of my house to go to work, and a teeny little kitten stopped me and wanted me to adopt it. But I didn't want to adopt it. I did like it though, and I found it to be very cute, so I didn't want it to leave...I just wanted it to keep coming around. So I went and got it a bowl of milk. You know, to entice it to stick around even though I was unwilling to adopt it. Then I tried leaving for work, and the kitten started bitching at me. That's all.

I did not need a dream dictionary to explain this one to me.

I feel that these dreams have more in common than just the appearance of a cat. I'm not even all that into cats. But I also think that while dreams aren't things you should live your life by, it may not be a bad idea to give them some thought. I mean, don't dwell. Don't lose sleep over them (ha!) But think of them as little landmarks on your trip through your days.

1 comment:

Andy - Instafather said...

No one likes a bitchy kitten.