Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Requiem


In Memorium:

Oh, Candy Corn, how I have loved thee. Throughout the years, you have been my steadfast friend, a confidant, a nugget of sugary deliciousness in times of yucky candy alternatives like Babe Ruths or Peeps. Every fall, around Halloween, we all looked forward to the first candy corn harvest of the season. The first bright orange bag to sneak into an array of chocolates and nougat. And then, suddenly there was Easter candy corn! Valentine's Day candy corn! Even Christmas candy corn. It's almost as if the heavens had opened up and rained processed honey and refined sugar down upon the mortals.

However, Candy Corn, I've recently become a pretty hard core vegan (more on that in an upcoming blog post.) As you know, I've been a vegetarian for about ten years, and have been kind of flirting with the whole vegan situation for about a year now. But about a month ago, I made the commitment to go at it full force...and unfortunately that means I have to let you go. As you also know, I have somewhere close to 100 bags of candy corn sitting in a closet in the guest bedroom...and I wonder what I should do with those? My first thought was to throw them away, but that just seems harsh and careless. I do know of others who love candy corn...perhaps I should spread the candy corn love around? The world would be a much more peaceful place if everyone had a bag of candy corn.

Perhaps one day we'll meet again. It's been a pretty good month so far though (I also gave up refined sugar and white flour) and it's amazing how quickly my body has gotten accustomed to those things. In fact, candy corn, I haven't craved you in quite some time. But I do know that you've got to get out of the closet, because who knows when a craving will strike...and I do like to do things right. Oh, and you might want to pass this message along to your friends Gummy Bears--actually, the whole Gummy family. Swedish Fish, luckily, ARE vegan, so I'm going to try to develop that relationship again, in moderation.

So...thanks for the memories. I'm sorry to have replaced you with things like cashews, dried dates, puffed kabut, and soy crisps. But if you ever need a reference, please feel free to get back in touch with me.

xoxo

1 comment:

Andy - Instafather said...

We could always hold a burial service for them.