Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Harry


So, it's officially over. My love affair with Harry Potter has finally come to an end. And while reading the 7th book was incredibly more traumatic (cut to Andrea and I, dressed up as HP Prom Queens, armed with snacks, curled up in my living room at 4:00 a.m., determined to not sleep or leave the house until we finished it, trying to read at the same exact pace, and occasionally gasping/sobbing) this was the END. I mean, the real end. And since SOMEONE refuses to interview me about this landmark event, I have decided to interview myself. I found myself to be an excellent source, quite willing to extrapolate on my Harry-related views and opinions, and easy to get along with.

Sara: Sara, I won't even ask you feel about this series of movies ending, because it's obvious that you are a combination of heartbroken and excited...it's written all over your face. I will, however, ask you how long you've been involved with Harry?
Sara: Thanks for asking. Contrary to popular belief, I wasn't a Harryite from the beginning. I didn't start reading the books until 2005, after the 6th book was finished. Sometimes I like to resist popular phenoms simply for the sake of resisting them. Like LOST. Also Lord of the Rings. But I finally had to find out what all this hoopla was about. And once I started...oh, heavens, I was in it. Like deep in it. Like Scrooge McDuck in his giant money room.

Sara: Wow, I wouldn't have guessed! So, do you have a favorite character? And, if I might ask, what would your patronus be?
Sara: Funny, the newspaper asked me that in 2007, when we were waiting outside of Borders for the midnight release of the book. That particular news source was very interested in my opinions. I can't say I have a favorite character...I can't even pick a favorite color. I love them all for different reasons. Except Dolores Umbridge. I do not love her in the slightest. And I think my patronus would be a fish. A really cool fish.

Sara: A fish! How fun. Let's talk about the books versus the movies. Some people have a hard time enjoying both. What's your take?
Sara: I think the books and the movies have to be accepted as two completely separate entities, not to be compared to one another. If you try to compare them, you're just going to be let down, because they're different art forms. But the movies have been great, and even though I thought the last one glossed over some important plot points, I still thought it was fantastic. I should mention here that I also just loved GOING to the last movie. There were hundreds of dressed up people, and I like dressed up people way more than regular people.

Sara: One last question, if you don't mind. Now that it's all over, how do you plan to keep your Harry love alive?
Sara: Well, I'm planning to go to the Harry Potter exhibit in NYC over my birthday. And soon I'll start the re-reading of the entire series process. I'll probably also read the books to my future children, once they get here...until then, I'll read them to my puppy.

4 comments:

Andy - Instafather said...

It's a shame no one from a newspaper interviewed you.

Cadence said...

Right? They missed the boat on this one.

Don't you hate it when... said...

Yeah, you deserve an interview.

Cadence said...

Thank you! I think so.