Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Baking


I'm going to open by letting you all know that after this sentence I plan to entirely ignore the fact that I have not blogged in literally months. I encourage you to do the same.

I've been balls to the wall vegan for about 8 months now, and I can honestly say it's one of the best decisions I've ever made. I'm sure it helps that my fiance is also vegan, so we get to do stuff together--like complain about the lack of vegan-friendly restaurants in the area, and then be inappropriately ecstatic when we get to go to Candle Cafe in New York City. Or we get to make fun vegan dishes to bring to our families at holidays, try to pass them off as non-vegan dishes, and then yell "GOTCHA!" as soon as someone takes a bite.

Perhaps it's because it's the holiday season, or perhaps it's because I never do anything without turning it into some kind of obsession, I've embarked on a vegan baking extravaganza over the past few weeks. I'm determined to bake up the most amazing delicacies, force people to eat them and then marvel over the fact that they're vegan, and then go back to my kitchen to bake some more. But what astonishes me time and time again is how actually fantastic everything tastes--way better than most non-vegan stuff I've eaten. Stay tuned, because I'm considering starting a baking blog to chronicle my trials and tribulations of vegan cooking. Because fun fact: I'm not a good cook. I'm an expert baker, but cooking is just not my thing. In the oven: A-okay. Out of the oven: WTF.

I just thought I'd share some of my favorite things that I've made over the past few month, followed by an encouraging message about the vegan lifestyle, and finished with an invitation to join me!

Marbled Cocoa Banana Bread--seriously, this is incredible. Also it looks super duper fancy. And it's low fat, low calorie, and just very pretty to look at.

Chocolate Chip Cookies--so I use applesauce in place of oil, and it makes them really moist and chewy. Andy's biggest woe in eating vegan has been the lack of acceptable cookies, so I try to have these around as much as possible.

Apple Cinammon Muffins--they don't sound very exciting, until you take a bite and little apple chunks burst in your mouth. I, for one, almost always like things bursting in my mouth.

Mac and Cheese--it doesn't sound vegan, but it sure is. This is one of the things we like to trick people with.

Sweet Potato Biscuits--they're like normal biscuits except they are made with sweet potatoes. Mmmmmmm. I don't like potatoes that much, but I DO like sweet potatoes!

Risotto--okay, this is one of those things that I made stovetop, and it was SUPER TRICKY. But it's made with barley, and I think that's where the trickiness came in. I evidently had to cook it for like two and a half hours. Who knew?

Forty Clove Broccoli Chickpeas--Amazing. Seriously. Even Andy, who despises broccoli, said, "...that is not nearly as bad as I was expecting it to be."

So. Vegan lifestyle? Awesome. It's fun to learn new things, to cook new things, and to know that no one is suffering while you're doing it. If you feel like you'd like to give it a whirl, come talk to me!

xoxo

1 comment:

Preston said...

See, I can eat vegan stuff without complaint, in fact I can quite enjoy it, but I don't think I could ever be a vegan myself. Seems like a lot of work, and I'm not really willing to put forth that effort.

I'm pretty lazy.